Thursday, June 05, 2008

To tip or not to tip...

What are the new rules? Childress is not like Dallas but does that matter? People here are doing the same job, it's just that people that live here are not used to tipping. I used to wait tables so I always tip at least 20% when we eat out. Unless they are horrible and then I sweetly leave them a tip that says, "I don't think waiting tables is your cup of tea, maybe you should look into another field." Just kidding, I would never do that...but I only leave them 15%.

So what about other services....the person that cleans your house, does your yard work, does your hair, gives you a massage, delivers your mail??? I have always heard that, for example, in a salon you don't tip the owner, just the other workers.....is this true? Or am I just being a horrible tipper?

What about holidays? Do you give these people a bonus or a Christmas gift? I usually give my housekeeper a bonus and I'll take my hairdresser some fudge or some other goodie, but that's it. Am I slacking?

I don't want to be a horrible customer and them think I'm not appreciative of their services, but I also want to save as much $$ as I can.

3 comments:

Fun Family Fitness said...

i believe the same thing. I try to give something everywhere they actually serve me...or bring me something...but I think they should DESERVE it...good post...makes me think...steph

TREY MORGAN said...

Boy, when you figure out the who and how much to give ... make sure you post it, because everyone struggles with this.

Sometimes I forget the Sonic car hop, but I did remember to stop and give a lady ten bucks who was walking through town this week.

Now if I can just get my kids to stop hitting me up for $20 here and $20 there, I could be a little better tipper.

Marci said...

I waited tables too and I always try to leave a little extra when I get my hair cut or when I get a massage or anything like that. Ryan gets mad, saying I am way too generous, but he thinks the money should go to him!!