Thursday, July 24, 2008

Etiquette for Spotting Loose Cattle on the Highway

1. Call the Sheriff's Office or the landowner if you know who it is

2. Pull over to make sure Bessie doesn't try to move from the shoulder into oncoming traffic

3. Patiently wait for an officer or the landowner to arrive

4. Bravely try to get Bessie back over the fence

Last night was Date Night. We had such a great time. We made arrangements for Olivia to stay with her MeMe (Tonya) and we headed to the Ritz Theatre in Wellington to see "The Dark Knight." The movie was so good. I love Batman movies and Heath Ledger did an eerily, awesome job as The Joker. It's sad he is no longer on this Earth to see his work.
Ever since I was a little girl going to the movies has been by far one of my favorite things to do. One of the first movies that I remember going to see was "Rainbow Brite and the Star Stealer" back in 1985. I was 5 years old and my parents took me when we lived in Wichita Falls. In junior high I saw "My Girl" at the Palace Theater here in Childress 3 times. It's hard for me to find someone to accompany me to the Lone Star 4 these days because it's not exactly the best movie experience, but I love going so much that I'll go by myself if there's a great chick flick showing. Nothing beats a night at the movie theater with some popcorn and a Dr. Pepper. Another great movie I saw recently was "Sex and the City." Now there were definitely some graphic scenes I could've lived without but overall it was such a fantastic, girly movie about love, friendship and fashion, of course.
Alright, so back to Bessie the cow.
On our way back from Date Night Chris noticed a cow on the side of the road. So we call the Sheriff's Office and I learn what your supposed to do in these situations. I had no idea. If I had been by myself I would've kept on driving, but like the officer said he would much rather come out now and get Bessie back to her home instead of coming out at 2 a.m. for a fatality accident. Bessie went right back over the fence which made me happy because at this point it was already 30 minutes passed my bedtime.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

I'm so upset with you! I can't believe you went to see Sex and The City without inviting me, or at least letting me know how it was. I have missed it now and must watch it at home on DVD, which I fully expect you to come watch with me, cosmo in hand!
Did you know Rachel hit a calf a couple of weeks ago at 3:00 am on her way home from Shallowater? She killed it and went to the emergency room herself. She's okay, bessie wasn't. I am so glad that you and Chris have date night. We need to start that soon! Love you!

Nicole not Crooked said...

So glad to know what to do with a Bessie in the road--very useful info.

You have always loved the movies,huh? We went to Lone Star 4 on opening night to see "Forget Paris." Sorry you have to go by yourself now. The last time I went to the theater was by myself with 4 kids--never doing that again any time soon!

Oh, and about your anniversary comment--yes, I do remember, and I was going to mention it in my post, but I am still just as embarrassed now as I was then--what a nerd!