Thursday, July 24, 2008

Irresponsible or just an honest mistake?

I thought I might type this quick post while my husband is sitting in the den wanting to yell at me!

I just finished taking my cousin home after we watched "P.S. I Love You" (soooo good btw) and I ran out of gas. Yep, in my 2 week old Tahoe I ran out of gas by the police station and FBC! I didn't have my purse or my cell with me and it was 10:30 at night. Plus, my car is more in the middle of the street than off to the side and I can't find my hazard lights. I can't walk anywhere because I think Chris would be more upset with me for leaving the new car unattended so I leave my lights on, lock it up and trot up to the police station. The people working don't know me and when I ask to use their phone they tell me they don't allow the public to use it. I want to laugh out loud. I also wanted to say, "I work for the County Judge," but who really wants to be that person. Some guy I didn't know was talking to one of the officers and let me use his cell phone. I call the house and no answer...I leave a message, "Hey honey, it's just me. I ran out of gas by the police station and the church. Okay, thanks, bye." I tell the people thank you and walk back to my car.
Not too long after that the officer is leaving and he pulls up beside me to see if I need any help or if he can help push my car out of the way. The poor officer gets out and pushes my huge vehicle out of harm's way, I tell him who I am and that my husband is going to kill me. We laugh and he tells me he'll come back by in a bit to check on me. I tell him I should be fine, but then I start wondering, {What if Chris doesn't get my message and just goes to bed? I'm going to be in sooo much trouble} Then my knight in shining armour pulls around the corner with gas in hand. I'm trying to be cute and apologetic at the same time, but he continues to tell me how bad this is for a fuel injected car! I'm quick to point out that last night I had 40something miles left and last time it took forever to reach empty and for some reason it tells you how many miles you have left when the gas light first comes on but after that it just reads "Fuel Mileage Low" .... my excuses were not flying at all as Chris says you had 40 miles left last night on the way home from Wellington!!!! Oh yeah. I promise not to let it happen again and to get gas as soon as the light comes on if not before! I feel so bad, but the feeling I had seeing my husband come save me left me happy especially after watching that sad movie!

9 comments:

Nicole not Crooked said...

That is such a "man" response! Worried about the fuel-injection instead of the well-being of wife and unborn child. Not bashing him, just amazed at how men always think about that stuff! I guess somebody has to.

One thing about us women, though, we can always find a way to work the "Knight in shining armor" card to help them forget all about the fuel-injection! Have fun with that!

Fun Family Fitness said...

I love the post....I totally understand...Atleast it wasn't in Dallas with your husband actually sitting in the passenger side...so we had to push it to the gas station...Toby's pickup gas gauge didn't work...so I kinda had a reason...GOOD JOB CHRIS....steph

Sharon said...

You should have called me silly, what were you thinking. I have had the same feeling that there was no way the car could be empty when it just said you had so many miles to go and you know you hadn't driven that many. It happened to me on the way to Memphis once. Glad you're okay!

Dawn Jenkins said...

Too funny!

TREY MORGAN said...

You sound just like my wife. I think her excuse was, "I forgot to look at the gas gauge."

SAM said...

Thanks for the laugh!!! Oh, how I'm glad it wasn't me-cause we all know that's something that would happen to me! "Uh, Jay, at least I didn't run out of gas like Tara!" (he, he)

Strong and Happy said...

Ha! Funny!

Francesca said...

So funny! Something I would do!

Amanda Kirkpatrick said...

that is too funny!! why don't guys understand these things!!??!! i ran out of gas on a school bus one time...thought randall bailey would never let me live that one down!!!